1961-2021 : BON ANNIVERSAIRE LES 4 FANTASTIQUES !

Simonson à propos de la genèse des New FF et du bref caméo du Punisher (extrait de l’interview de Simonson par DeFalco, son successeur sur Thor & Fantastic Four) :

Tom DeFalco : I know it was only for the one story, but you then replaced the entire Fantastic Four ! What inspired you to change things around so drastically ?

Walt Simonson : Well, that’s funny. Actually, I just read a thing online where (writer) Kurt Busiek gives his version of what happened. Kurt was involved, too, see, and what’s interesting is that his recollections and mine are not quite the same. I mean, they’re not too far off and it’s cool, but I’ll give you my version.

The way I remember it, I was running late, and I wanted to get some fill-in issues done to help me catch up. It was really a fool’s dream, because you think you’re going to use that time to play catch-up, but it never happens. But it was my honourable intention at the time. Art Adams was and is a good friend, and a phenomenal artist to boot, so I asked him if he’d be game to do a three-part FF story, and he agreed. Around the time this was happening, Spider-Man was very hot, and I thought it would be kind of fun to guest-star Spidey in the book. That was how it started.

At some point, I went down to Carol Kalish’s office on the tenth floor. I knew and liked Carol a lot. I thought she was really sharp. Every so often I just wandered into her office and kept her from doing any work by talking to her. I’d like to find out what was going on in the biz and get her perspective on it, because it was a different perspective to mine.

So I was talking to Kurt and Carol ; I don’t remember who else, thought there were two or three people sitting around, shooting the breeze. I told Carol that I was thinking about getting Spider-Man into Fantastic Four, and Kurt was like, « Well, if you’re gonna use Spider-Man, you’re gonna have to use Ghost Rider, the Punisher and Wolverine », because at that time, those were all the hot characters - and we all cracked up.

tumblr_m92647

Now, my memory is that it was said pretty much in jest, but I went home that night, and I felt like Jon Lovitz on Saturday Night Live - « Spider-Man, yeah, Wolverine, yeah, that’s the ticket ». So I called Art (Adams) up and I said, « How about if we use these guys ? »

1383302_661503877204102_1444297182_n

Art said, « Well, I don’t like the Punisher - I liked him when he was a vilain, but I don’t like him as a hero », and I said, « So who do you want to draw ? » Arthur replied « I’d love to draw the Hulk. »

So then I had Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and the Hulk and at some point after we had arrived at those four, I thought, « Wait a minute, we’ve got four guys : the Hulk’s kinda like the Thing, Ghost Rider’s kind of got like a flaming head like the Torch. Spidey’s a science geek like Reed. » However, wether we were gonna make Wolverine into Sue or not… well, I’m not gonna go there.

tumblr_p2lzg01tSk1w6yfs3o1_640.png

There was a certain amount of lightweight correspondence, and the light bulb went off. I had four characters, and there was some correspondence - perfect ! So the idea that we were doing a new FF was the very last thing I thought of for that story.

So my recollection is that Kurt suggested some of the characters and Arthur suggested the Hulk. It was a team effort. Anyway, I asked Art - as I always do when I’m writing for another artist - « What do you want to draw ? » In Arthur’s case, it was like, « How about the Hulk on a motorcycle ? » Okay. Well, we’ve got him on a flying motorcycle, but nevertheless, it’s a motorcycle. He also wanted to draw a bunch of the old Marvel monsters ; the old 50’s Atlas stuff - he loves that kind of creature-feature thing, he’s very familiar with it. He wanted to do the Mole Man. I worked out the Mole Man hadn’t been around in a while, so that was cool. Those were the only elements I remember, there may have been other stuff, I don’t know…

FF347_Skrulls2

Skrulls.

That might have been Art’s idea, too. I just don’t remember. But somewhere in there, I’d take all these things that Art handed me and say, « Okay, now I’m going to find a story. » I started digging around, looking for some way to amalgamate a lot of this stuff, and put a story together that contained as much of it as possible, adding whatever I needed to as I went along to get it all to gel.

newgr

After that fist ’New FF’ issue came out, the retailers were furious because we didn’t tell them it was going to sell so well. Who the hell knew it was going to sell that well ?

Well, it was a good story. But who knew ? I mean, another funny thing about it was the Punisher. As I mentioned, Arthur didn’t want to draw the Punisher and I didn’t care. But after I thought about it, I said to him, « Well, look, the Punisher is hot right now, and he should really be in the comic, if only for just a second. » I mean, if you’re going to go overboard, you may as well go all the way ! So we worked out a bit where, at the very end of the whole story, the Punisher shows up.

And on the cover, there’s a little inset drawing of the Punisher’s chest showing his skull and uniform with some copy like, « Most exploitative appearance of a guest star ever ! ». You don’t see his head on the cover, just the chest and skull design.

And then on the inside, he’s in a Punisher helicopter, and he’s wearing a flight helmet and sitting in his flight suit. There’s never a whole body shot of the Punisher in the entire comic. He shows up in the end, says, « Well, I guess they’re all done », and he leaves. And that was the whole Punisher bit. Arthur was game to draw that much Punisher !

Simonson/Farmer (Death’s Head #9, 1989) :

tumblr_o6np9aFjyk1shdts2o1_1280

tumblr_o6np9aFjyk1shdts2o3_1280

Aaaah je vais reprendre mes nova moi.

Peter Parker & Jimmy Olsen en ouverture de Fantastic Four #40 (février 2001).

tumblr_ob1814437cb42517b4314c8e70853be38_9c682878_1280

u45vxu1z

Ouais, avec Gerber au scénario.

Jim

Pas que, mais oui.

Ah, y a plusieurs scénaristes ? J’avais oublié.

Jim

Fantastic Four #245 (1982) / Fantastic Four #12 (2013) :

FF245_Thing

tumblr_3536eff6786535c17b615bca8eeea9bb_523a8593_1280

Simon Furman pour 2 épisodes après Hitch s’en va, Furman fait un numéro de plus avant de se faire remplacer Louise Simons qui fait un diptyque avant le retour de byrne

Ah la vache, complètement oublié tout ça.

Jim

La couverture variante de Juann Cabal pour Black Panther #25/197 :

blap25_fineart_cabal

Pub !

THE THING #8 :

Une dizaine d’année avant de devenir le scénariste des 4 Fantastiques , Dan Slott se voyait confier les commandes d’une nouvelle série The Thing , le deuxième titre solo de Ben Grimm après celui des années 80. Mais contrairement au précédent (36 épisodes entre 1983 et 1986, quasiment tous inédis en V.F. à part le premier), l’expérience fut de courte durée puisqu’elle s’arrêta au bout de 8 numéros faute de lecteurs. Les quatre premiers ont été traduit par Panini dans un Marvel Icons hors série (post #81) , les #5 à 7 sont inédits et le #8 se trouve dans les pages du #56 du magazine Comic Box .

Accompagné par le très bon Kieron Dwyer aux dessins, Dan Slott a mis un terme à ce titre avec le retour d’une grande tradition : la partie de poker entre super-héros…et celle-ci réunit du beau monde dans le très grand appartement de Ben Grimm (qui était alors plein aux as). Le récit est mené avec une certaine légèreté et le résultat est très sympathique. Les interactions aux différentes tables de poker sont amusantes et il y a aussi quelques flashbacks histoire de glisser des scènes d’action…mais pas que…

Car The Thing #8 peut aussi être vu comme la suite de l’excellent Fantastic Four #56 (post #867) de Karl Kesel et Stuarrt Immonen. Comme il l’avait promis, Ben est venu aider régulièrement Mr Sheckerberg, le propriétaire du mont-de-piété de Yancy Street, et sa tâche est maintenant accomplie. Mais Ben veut faire plus. Mr Sheckerberg emmène alors Ben voir le Rabbi Lowenthal au temple et les deux hommes lui proposent d’avoir enfin sa Bar Mitzvah. La raison évoquée est vraiment bien trouvée et la cérémonie en elle-même est assez touchante, avec un ton positif qui met un temps de côté les aspects tragiques du personnage pour se concentrer sur les bonnes choses de la vie.

Ce bon vieux Ben le mérite bien…et l’épisode donne le sourire de la première à la dernière page.

Les crayonnés de Wieringo pour Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four #4 (un numéro paru peu avant son décès) :

tumblr_e0d80368e0342233b62e947997ce0ecb_b9df7649_1280

tumblr_1de62a4558486be61807fa4c03a576ea_da4b3331_1280

tumblr_e63858367648367fe90f6e1206e52ed4_5d136d9f_1280

tumblr_7ba57443ad24deb6acbb6dfbaf9c64ed_aa0daa55_1280

GEN 13/FANTASTIC FOUR :

Au plus fort de leur popularité, les adolescents à super-pouvoirs de Gen 13 (créés par Jim Lee, Brandon Choi et J. Scott Campbell pour l’univers Wildstorm ) ont enchaîné les crossovers avec les héros venus d’autres maisons d’édition. Il y a eu des rencontres avec Superman (par Adam Warren et Lee Bermejo), Spider-Man (par Peter David et Stuart Immonen), Monkeyman & O’Brien (par Art Adams), Generation X (par Brandon Choi, Art Adams, James Robinson et Salvador Larroca) et la première famille Marvel pour un one-shot écrit et illustré par Kevin Maguire ( Justice League International ).

Ces numéros spéciaux et mini-séries utilisent l’astuce de la « Terre partagée » : même si les personnages viennent à l’origine d’univers différents, les auteurs les font cohabiter naturellement sur la même Terre. Au détour d’une réplique, on apprend ainsi que les travaux de Reed Richards ont peut être été volés et utilisés pour le projet Gen 13. Ca, c’est pour établir un mince lien entre les deux équipes…car Kevin Maguire est surtout là pour le fun !

Les Gen 13 comptent bien passer une chouette nuit à New-York…mais voilà que leur animal de compagnie Qeelocke (une bébête d’une autre dimension) s’évade de leur chambre d’hôtel. Qeelocke est récupéré par Spider-Man (qui vient faire un petit coucou) et la Torche qui l’emmènent au Baxter Building pour que Mr Fantastic puisse l’examiner. Qeelocke se met alors à grandir de plus en plus…et pendant ce temps, un monstre sous-marin apparaît non loin de là. Les deux créatures semblent attirées l’une vers l’autre…

Kevin Maguire joue avec le bon vieux cliché des équipes qui s’affrontent sur un malentendu avant de trouver un terrain d’entente, ici un problème de taille kaiju qui pourrait bien détruire la Grosse Pomme. Le scénariste fait bien monter le suspense, les interactions entre les F.F. et Gen 13 ne manquent pas de punch et alors qu’on pouvait s’attendre à une fin classique, Kevin Maguire nous sort un twist très amusant et finalement pas si étonnant quand on connaît l’humour et le style du bonhomme, avec ses dessins très détaillés et ses trognes irrésistibles.

tumblr_mvavhyWMqk1r7hjkqo2_1280

tumblr_mvavhyWMqk1r7hjkqo3_1280

Sue Storm par John Byrne :

tumblr_pdhhxoOMul1s2u4wdo1_1280

tumblr_pnnbp6pzMv1s2u4wdo1_1280

tumblr_pjj341yJWJ1s2u4wdo1_1280

tumblr_pahvieuDiE1s2u4wdo1_1280

Jim

JB's FF (7a)