ETERNALS #1-12 (Kieron Gillen / Esad Ribic)

Quelques mois avant la sortie du long métrage de Marvel Studios (repoussé à février 2021), les Eternels seront de retour dans les pages de leur propre titre en novembre. Les nouvelles aventures des créations de Jack Kirby seront écrites par Kieron Gillen et dessinées par Esad Ribic.

La couverture variante par Boss Logic :

ETERNALS #1

• Written by KIERON GILLEN
  • Art and Cover by ESAD RIBIĆ
  • Colors by MATTHEW WILSON
  • NEVER DIE. NEVER WIN. ETERNALS.
  • What’s the point of an eternal battle?
  • For millions of years, one hundred Eternals have roamed the Earth, secret protectors of humanity. Without them, we’d be smears between the teeth of the demon-like Deviants. Their war has waged for all time, echoing in our myths and nightmares.
  • But today, Eternals face something new: change. Can they – or anyone on Earth – survive their discovery?
  • From the thought provoking minds of Kieron Gillen ( The Wicked + The Divine , Uncanny X-Men , Thor ) and Esad Ribić ( Secret Wars , King Thor ) comes a new vision of the classic Marvel mythology!

Kieron Gillen :

« I said if I was ever to do a book again at Marvel, it would have to be something I’ve never done before. This is exactly that. This is me teaming up with literally my favourite artist of the epic, taking one of those lightning-storm Kirby visions and re-making it to be as new as the day it was forged . While Esad makes whole worlds on the page, I’m applying all the skills I’ve developed when I was away. It’s a lot. It’s everything. There’s enough scale packed in here that I believe that when you look at the comic, you’ll see the pages slightly bulge. Essentially ‹ Eternal › has to mean ‹ never going out of style › which means we’re aiming for « Instant classic. » Also - fight scenes, horror, human drama, emotions, explosions. Comics. »

Équipe artistique intéressante.

Jim

Je veux !

Effectivement on a vu pire.

Joli.

La couverture du #1 par Esad Ribic :

eternals2020001_cvr_col

1 « J'aime »

ouuuuhhhhhhh.

La couverture variante du #1 par Alex Ross :

eternals1b

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/marvel-the-eternals-kieron-gillen-interview/

« The secret for me: it’s all about the differences. I don’t see them as similar at all, even though I do see why they absolutely are. The thing which makes me smile most about doing Eternals , in terms of how it ties into my own bibliography, is that it is 100% the flip of The Wicked + The Divine . That was a book of the shortness of individual lives and death. This is a book about the expanse of time and life eternal. Ironically, this means that you end up talking about some of the same thematic areas in lots of different ways. Speaking more generally, of you’re talking about these characters who are, to some level, about incarnating big, primal, Jungian ideas, you get to approach the big issues, in all kinds of ways. Perhaps Eternals is Jung Avengers . »

B722C2CA-0FB5-427B-B0AB-99234D403F7F

Mamamia (j’ai juste un peu peur de Gillen)

La nouvelle franchise que Marvel veut faire fructifier.

Pour le coup en mettant Gillen et Ribic ils se donnent quand même un peu de chances…

Ca dépend de ce que fait Gillen pour moi. Il est très en dent de scie pour moi.

Mais Gillen doit avoir son petit public, je pense. Sur lequel Marvel souhaite miser.

Jim

Tout pareil

La couverture du #2 par Esad Ribic :

eternals2

"To speak broadly, the problem I sense with the Eternals though was kind of two-fold. One is that they don’t really have their own niche in the Marvel Universe. They were created as their own thing and then integrated into the Marvel U. So, why should we be interested in someone who was once mistaken for Thor when we have actual Thor over here? They’re in a universe where they’re often described as gods, but that job is already “taken.” [Laughs] So, part of my thinking was how could I give them their own niche?

The second thing is there’s a mixture of power fantasy and tragedy that lies at the heart of most great Marvel superhero comics. The Eternals though had existed outside the Marvel U and were solely created by Jack Kirby. So, there’s not really a downside to being an Eternal. I was interested in developing that aspect.

Those are the two big reasons why I think they’ve been an odd fit in the Marvel Universe, and part of the reason they haven’t stuck around as much as we’ve liked. At the same time, the Eternals fingerprints are everywhere. They’ve been really good secondary actors, and the Celestials are such an important part of the Marvel cosmology."

L’analyse de Giffen est plutôt bonne.