1963-2023 : BON ANNIVERSAIRE LES AVENGERS !

Black Widow par Adam Hughes, 1995 :

jim

Black Widow par Sean Phillips :

Jim

Black Widow par Todd Nauck :

Jim

Black Widow par Mirka Andolfo :

Jim

Black Widow par Tim Sale :

jim

Black Widow par Paul Gulacy :

Jim

Black Widow par Brett Breeding :

jim

Black Widow par David Yardin :

Jim

Sont rigolos ces « crossovers ».

Manque de sommeil.

Ouais, je connaissais l’anecdote, mais je connaissais les épisodes séparément et je n’avais pas lu en détail et à la suite. Et quand je me suis plongé dedans, j’ai adoré.

Jim

« That was a major turning point in not just Avengers history, but Marvel Comics history, » said long-time Marvel writer Dan Slott, who wrote both Mighty Avengers and Avengers: The Initiative. « The team that took the name Avengers [in 2004], with Wolverine and Spider-Man and the biggest guns and Brian’s favorite characters – that became the flagship book not just for Marvel, but that became the flagship book for comics. And it stayed there for so long. That speaks to the genius behind that move. »

« Once that happened, and once the word ‹ franchise › started getting bandied around in meetings, I knew it was only a matter of time before there were other teams and spin-offs, » said Bendis in 2009. « We just had to make sure we didn’t move too fast and that we continued to treat the Avengers franchise like the A-list team I always imagined it should be. »

« You know, I think about it an awful lot, about what makes the Avengers unique among all the other superhero teams, » Bendis said. « Fantastic Four is a family, and the X-Men are all related by a similar cause. But the Avengers are there because they all believe in the same thing. »

« Captain America believes in the idea in the Avengers. Tony Stark believes in it so much that he’s willing to pay for it. Thor believes in it so much that he’s willing to hang out with these guys, » he said.

« When I sit down and write them, I just remember the initial pitch: Heroes banded together to fight foes they couldn’t fight on their own. And you don’t get any more complicated than that, » Bendis said. « And I think the writers who have stuck to that have created some really unique Marvel stories. »

« It’s much like when ballplayers get asked to be in the Yankees, » he said. « Or I know a lot of my friends when they’re asked to write for DC or Marvel Comics, they feel like an honor’s been bestowed upon them and they have to deliver. I see people like Clint Barton respond to the Avengers like that. »

« Classically, at least, the Justice League of America was a league and the Avengers was a team, » Busiek said, « by which I mean that the Justice League of America was an alliance of solo heroes who came together as needed, but whose first priority was their solo responsibilities, the various cities they protected in the ordinary course of their careers. And the Avengers was a team, one that focused primarily on working together (and often living together) with a few members who had solo responsibilities, but not the bulk of the team. »

Marvel Comics’ executive editor/senior VP of publishing Tom Brevoort agreed, adding that the Justice League’s focus is getting the job done while the Avengers comics tend to focus on the group’s relationship as a team.

« Typically, there’s a crisis in the world, the Justice League comes together in the (pick one) satellite, moon base, cave in Rhode Island, then they deal with the mission, pat each other on the back and go home, whereas the Avengers tend to all stay more or less together, » said Brevoort, who has overseen the Avengers titles for over 20 years.

"There are guys that come and go – Cap’s not there all the time, and Iron Man usually isn’t there all the time – but they tend to congregate in one place, whether that’s a mansion or a tower or an apartment in Brooklyn. It seems to be a lot more about the personal interplay and the relationships between those characters than it is simply the big mission of the day.

« The Avengers somehow, in some intangible way, is closer to a sports team in that sort of way. They live together, they work together, they fight together, » Brevoort said. « This is just my opinion, but the Justice League is sort of more like a lodge where once a week they get together and have a meeting and eat some ribs and punch the Injustice Gang out. On its most basic level, it’s the same kind of concept. It’s all your big characters together in one comic or on one team. »

Slott, who currently writes Marvel’s Fantastic Four team, said what really makes the Avengers unique is what makes the Marvel Universe itself unique.

« Marvel books have a certain feel to them. It’s the magic of Stan and Jack, » he said, referring to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. "If you look at Justice League, you get this feeling like, if suddenly someone turned out the lights, if the characters didn’t say something like ‹ Great Krypton › or ‹ Great Hera › you wouldn’t know who was speaking, because they’re all these perfect icons. Each person is a very quintessential hero. In the Marvel universe, they aren’t untouchable icons. These guys have more flavor and feel more familiar and down-to-earth.

« Also, Rick Jones could kick Snapper Carr’s ass, » he laughed.

« I think the difference is in approach more than anything, » Brevoort added. « The Marvel style is that it’s the guys in the costumes rather than the costumes and the powers that are important; the classic DC style was always that it’s the costumes and the powers that are important. »

Bendis said the two teams do have similarities, which is why he’s drawn to them.

« It just seems to be a never-ending amount of different types of stories you can tell from that simple idea of banding these heroes together. »

1 « J'aime »

Premier volet du recueil Tales to Astonish en 2018 :

Jim

Deuxième volet du recueil Tales to Astonish de 2018 :

Jim

Frank Miller fête ses 66 ans aujourd’hui.

Dix jours après Ann Nocenti.
Qui apparaît dans Avengers #216, par Jim Shooter, Alan Weiss et Dan Green, daté de janvier 1981.

Ou plus précisément, Steve Rogers, qui mène alors une carrière d’illustrateur publicitaire, se rend dans une célèbre agence où il est reçu par la secrétaire, qui s’appelle… Ann Nocenti.

Daté de janvier 1981, l’épisode est sorti quelques mois plus tôt, et a été produit sans doute durant l’été 1980. On peut imaginer que la jeune femme d’alors est déjà en contact avec la rédaction de Marvel, après avoir répondu à une annonce.

Jim

Nocenti, Berger, il emballe sérieux le cap

Petite évocation de notre ami Mar-Vell (rediff pour le plaisir des yeux), qui reviendra beaucoup, je crois, dans ce sujet :

Jim

Les Vengeurs sont « mis en cène » par Jim Starlin :

Jim

1 « J'aime »

AVENGERS #56 :

La première page de Avengers #56 donne l’impression que les héros se sont égarés dans un classique du film de monstres de la Universal. On apprend vite qu’ils ont été convoqués par Captain America, éloigné de la série depuis plusieurs mois, et que le château en question n’est pas celui de Frankenstein mais celui dans lequel le Docteur Fatalis avait piégé les 4 Fantastiques dans le cinquième numéro du comic-book de la première famille Marvel.

Cap veut utiliser la machine à remonter le temps de Fatalis dans le but de répondre à une question qui le hante depuis son retour : Bucky est-il bien mort ? Bon, il faudra bien entendu attendre encore pas mal de temps avant que la Sentinelle de la Liberté découvre la vérité sur ce qui est véritablement arrivé à son vieil ami. Pour l’heure, Cap veut utiliser l’engin temporel pour revenir à ce jour fatidique de leur dernier combat contre le Baron Zemo.

Captain America, Goliath, Oeil-de-Faucon et Black Panther voyagent jusqu’aux années 40, la Guêpe restant derrière eux pour manipuler la machine. Ils apparaissent sous l’équivalent d’une « forme astrale », capables de voir mais pas d’agir pour éviter de changer le cours du temps. Bon, j’avoue que je ne me rappelle pas de cette fonction particulière (existait-elle avant ? A-t-elle été réutilisée par la suite ?) mais cela reste bien pratique dans le cadre des péripéties du récit écrit par Roy Thomas.

Dans un premier temps, les Avengers ne peuvent qu’assister impuissants à l’histoire que leur avait déjà raconté Cap…jusqu’à ce qu’une Guêpe assoupie (encore une chose à ajouter à la longue liste des problèmes d’écriture de Janet en ce temps-là) appuie sans le faire exprès sur un bouton, ses coéquipiers se rematérialisant alors dans le passé. Idéal tout de même pour appuyer sur le champignon du dernier acte et ajouter une bonne dose d’action…

Porté par la très bonne partie graphique signée John Buscema et George Klein, cet épisode n’ajoute franchement rien à ce que l’on savait alors sur cette partie de l’histoire de Captain America et permet surtout au héros triste de faire enfin son deuil. Une certitude bouleversée comme on le sait des années plus tard…

1 « J'aime »