1938-2018 : BON ANNIVERSAIRE SUPERMAN !

Superman Pre-STAS / STAS Designs

Bruce Timm:

If I had it to do over again, I’d update the character more—I think that the show would have been more successful if we had reinvented a little bit. Superman’s just not as intrinsically [as] cool as Batman. Superman makes a lot of sense in 1940; he doesn’t really make a whole lot of sense in 1999. The DC tell you the same thing—they have a very hard time making him seem fresh and exciting. He’s just been around for so damn long. I’m proud of the Superman show. It’s very traditional; we did incorporate all the Kirby stuff, and we gave Jimmy Olsen baggy pants, and we had mecha-style robots instead of 1940s-style robots, but other than that it’s very true to the old-fashioned Superman. The reason why we didn’t make it Fleischer-esque is that I didn’t want anybody to literally put it side-by-side with the old Fleischer shorts and say, ‘They’re just doing a third-rate knockoff of the Fleischers,’ because we can’t compare with that.

Timm & consorts ont finalement préféré s’éloigner de l’esthétique 40’s du cartoon des Fleischer (déjà une forte influence visuelle pour Batman TAS), au grand dam d’Alex Toth.

en 2013, pour la sortie d’un film consacré au personnage, Munaro se fendait d’un de ces interventions dont il a le secret :

ABCDE#2-MUNARO2009

Jim

Ty Templeton à la même période.

1 « J'aime »

J’aime beaucoup la deuxième case.

Jim

Fake news

Ca aurait dû s’appeler Last Son of Krypton, et ça aurait eu du sens.
Car au-delà des éléments rapportés ici, et qui sont complètement vrais, le film ne parle jamais que de Kal-El, l’exilé de Krypton.
Clark Kent n’est qu’une coquille vide, ici.

#NotMySuperman.

Encore que en comptant celui-là :

superman-unbound1

NEW YORK JOURNAL-AMERICAN (1940)
Political Cartoon by Burris Jenkins Jr.

Only two years after his debut and Superman was already famous enough to join this all-star line up of comic strip characters.

C’est signé 2009.

Et il y est fait, par deux fois, référence à « Returns »…

Sinon, je n’ai pas vu que les personnages d’Yvdut-El, Marcdors-El, Camilleclod-El et Albertdupont-El avaient un clin d’œil dans leurs initiales (qu’ils arborent sur leurs vêtements)…

Tori.

Rien n’est laissé au A-Zar

Oui, j’aurais dû préciser qu’il n’a pas dessiné à cette date, mais (re-)posté.

Jim

Joyeux Noël !

Jim

Carte de Noël de 1942 :

Jim

Le cadeau empoisonné :

Jim

Noël, les héros DC et… José Luis Garcia-Lopez !

Jim

Oh, un cadeau pour Soyouz !!!

Jim