LES PROJETS AVORTÉS

C’est ballot, parce que j’avais bien apprécié le Hercules de Layton, et qu’une version futuriste d’un héros secondaire, ça marche souvent sur moi !
Bizarrement, je me demande si ça n’avait pas été annoncé, ce projet, avant d’être annulé, car j’ai l’impression d’en avoir entendu parler. Et l’état avancé de la maquette telle que présentée ici me semble une confirmation.

Jim

Les couvertures de Becky Cloonan, le principal vestige de la mini-série avortée de Nick Spencer sur un jeune Fatalis.

Victor_von_Doom_Vol_1_2_Textless

Victor_von_Doom_Vol_1_3_Textless

Ils pourraient publier pendant combien d année un mensuel de qualité avec tous les projets avortés ?

1 « J'aime »

tumblr_n0vrru2bH71sismc5o1_500

À la place il y a eu X-Tinction Agenda (puis peu après The Muir Island Saga & Mutant Genesis).

Oui, ça c est vraiment dommage.

Adam Warren: A hitherto unseen promotional illo that accompanied the pitch to DC Comics for the long-ago rejected SUPERMAN/ DIRTY PAIR crossover.

Adam Warren: Welcome to another installment of FAILED-PROJECT FRIDAY!

I’m reeeeaaally short on time today (as I’m trying to wrap up the story that closes out EMPOWERED vol. 2 this weekend), so I’m going with the most easily addressed project possible: the long-defunct SUPERMAN/ DIRTY PAIR crossover.

Back around the time I was working on GEN 13 BOOTLEG’s « GRUNGE: THE MOVIE » arc for Wildstorm, I was flailing desperately about to line up a crossover-- ANY crossover-- between the Dirty Pair and some other, more popular book, in an attempt to boost the DP’s profile (and earn some sweet mainstream page rates in the process).

Long story truncated, I made a pitch for a SUPERMAN/ DIRTY PAIR crossover that, I gather, took the DP into the DCU for an adventure with Superman… I no longer recall the details in the slightest, sadly enough.

Nanotechnology was clearly involved, given the use of the SF term « jupiter brain », which refers to a planet-sized body restructured by nanotech into a cyclopean « hypercomputer. » The term’s usually a figure of speech, but this time around Jupiter itself was obviously being transformed into an, uh, « Jupiter brain. »

IIRC, the pitch was briefly approved by DC, long enough for Wizard magazine to ask me to do a mildly infamous promotional illo for the project: the « Kei tugging on Superman’s cape » piece. (The wee, crappy gifs I could find for the piece online now mysteriously refuse to upload to DA, so you’ll have to take my word on this one.)

Alas, that promo illo proved to be wildly premature, as the project was eventually « unapproved » by DC, for various reasons. Oh, well. Can’t blame 'em, as the DP’s meager popularity wouldn’t have brought many sales to the table. My apologies for not going in to more detail on this defunct project, but I dinnae have time for such blithering today.

Anyhoo, I’m outta here, and back to the drawing board. BTW, thanks for the very kind words on EMPOWERED, everybody; I’ve been extraordinarily heartened to see readers embrace such an odd but (I hope) appealing little project… I’ll post s’more about EMP once I’m done with this current vol 2 story.

Thanks again,

AW

• During the late nineties, Adam Warren came close to writing and drawing a Superman / Dirty Pair crossover, and even published a promo piece of art for it, which was published in Wizard magazine at the time. The project apparently was axed due to publishing budget constrains.

Deux pages de Buckler pour un GN Dr.Strange & Spider-Man :

Graphic Novel Unpublished Pencil 2

Graphic_Novel_Unpublished_Pencil_1

La scène introductive où Spidey empêche une femme de se suicider n’est pas sans rappeler Spider-Man / Dr. Strange: The Way to Dusty Death.

RCO005_1583461851

RCO006_1583461811

Ha, elle était vraiment prévue cette « guerre mutante », j’en ai entendu parler il y a quelques mois sans capter ce que c’était.

Les crayonnés d’Alan Weiss pour un titre Sub-Mariner par Shooter.

Sub-Mariner Weiss (Don blog) 001

Sub-Mariner Weiss (Don blog) 002

Sub-Mariner Weiss (Don blog) 003

Sub-Mariner Weiss (Don blog) 004

Sub-Mariner Weiss (Don blog) 005

Une mini-série a fini par voir le jour mais avec une autre équipe créative :

tumblr_nstg0qL4FC1refsh5o1_r1_500

Weiss au dessin d’une séquence avec Namor dans Fantastic Four Roast :

RCO013_1492222237

Captain Marvel/Shazam par Jim « Captain Mar-Vell » Starlin :

n1576994286_63781_3221

CM001001-1

CM001001

CM001002&003

CM001002-003

CM001004

CM001005

CM001006

CM001007

CM001008

MARVEL BOY 2 (2002)

Marvel Boy 2 - apparently subtitled ‹ The End of the Way That Was › - would see Phil Winslade taking over from J. G. Jones on art duties. The series was intended to be the culmination of Morrison’s long standing obsession with Jim Starlin and Steve Englehart’s cosmic comics of the 1970’s (Morrison dubbed his own take on them ’ Kosmic Komicschze ') .

From an interview with Newsarama,

« The Kree Book of The Dead issue, « Beyond The Withinfinite, » delved into Kree comic book religion in full-on Prog Comics style »

« He [Bill Jemas, then-Marvel publisher] simply didn’t like the fluorescent overtones of what I was doing in Marvel Boy 2 , and asked me if I was prepared to try a different and more down-to-earth approach to the basic idea of angry alien boy trapped on Earth. My original series pitch and scripts were based in a horrible super-security prison called the Cube, home of the most deranged inhuman mutants and motherfuckers on the face of the Earth. Grotesques like Daddy Heart, Alan Satan and the Spider Sisters filled every page and the whole thing was a very fast-paced religious satire in the Marvel Cosmic style. »

It’s been rumoured that Winslade’s art for the first issue of Marvel Boy 2 was completed before the plug was pulled on the project. Given Morrison’s usual Marvel-style scripting - it’s unlikely more than a rough draft of the subsquent issues exist. There were hints that some of the ideas Morrison had for Marvel Boy 2 might make their way over to a Captain Marvel Jr . series at DC. Unfortunately, that too remains unpublished.

Jemas’ hostility toward any proposed sequels to the Marvel Boy series was a large factor in Morrison’s decision to sign an exclusive deal with DC in 2003.

https://sites.google.com/a/deepspacetransmissions.com/site/universe-b/marvel

Bravo Bill Jemas ! Beau boulot !!!

Jim

1 « J'aime »

ça aurait pu avoir de la gueule.

Beaucoup !!!

Je pense notamment à Starlin, qui avait proposé un Namor à Marvel, et plein d’autres choses. Vraiment, on se demande comment ils pensent, les éditeurs…

Jim

mon 1er comics VO en 82, en vacance dete en hollande…

C’est le projet avorté de Morrison que je regrette le plus, je crois bien.

Il y a en quelques uns qui m’auraient bien botté. Ultimate Fantastic Four, le casse gueule Arkham Asylum 2 ou encore son Silver Surfer : Zero avec Quitely.
Et puis Seaguy 3, aussi, qui a peu de chance d’aboutir vu les déboires du dessinateur Cameron Stewart.

Multiplicitwo.

Mais oui clairement marvel boy 2 et 3.

Ah ça va pas se faire ça, finalement ? J’avais pas vu passer l’info…

« Seaguy 3 », ouais, ça aussi c’est un sacré regret, mais j’avais fait une croix dessus bien avant les soucis actuels de Stewart.

Je crois avoir lu qu’il allait prendre ses distances avec DC.